Crockpot Pumpkin and White Bean Turkey Chili
I got this recipe from the internet, Foodie Crush, and changed it around to make it healthier. This is a great recipe to use with leftover turkey and pumpkin. Please note that other winter squash can be used in place of pumpkin. This dish was a hit in my house…so much so that I made another batch, so I could can the extras for my go-to meal stash!
- 4 15-ounce cans white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 cups diced, uncooked pumpkin (or butternut, acorn squash)
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 whole jalapeno pepper (de-seed if you don’t want too much heat)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 – 1/2 cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 3 cups shredded turkey
- 1 can whole-fat coconut milk
- 2 cups kale leaves, chopped
- Heat coconut oil in stock pot over medium heat. Sauté onion for 4-5 minutes, or it becomes translucent. Add garlic and cook another 1-2 minutes. Remove to crock-pot and add the rest of the ingredients, EXCEPT kale. Cook on low 8-10 hours. Turn to high and add kale leaves 30 minutes before serving. Serve cornbread, a dollop of canned coconut milk on top.