Cabbage and Beef Pot
This recipe came about because I needed to use up a cabbage. I found several recipes that I liked, but ended up basing this recipe off of an old Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe I used to make when my children were young! I loved that recipe, but don’t serve corned beef any more because the young calves are fed only corn (non-organic), so this recipe serves as a wonderful substitute for my family. I just wish I would have thought to put this together years ago. We long ago gave up eating rice, and starchy foods with meat, but feel free to add it if you want. It is quite delicious, without it.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 - 2 tsp salt to taste
- 1 large onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp marjoram dried
- ½ tsp black pepper to taste
- 1 jalapeno, diced (I used the seeds, but discard them if you don’t like it too spicy)
- 1 32 oz. can tomatoes diced
- ½ tsp paprika (I used smoked paprika)
- 1 - 2 cups beef broth (I used homemade bone broth)
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 1 cup cooked brown rice optional (we eat it without the rice)
- 1 medium head cabbage chopped (about 9 cups)
- Heath large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add a tbsp. coconut oil, then onions. Cook until limp. Add garlic. Stir and cook 1-2 minutes longer. Add beef and salt; Cook, breaking apart meat until browned. Add the rest of spices. Stir. Add tomatoes, broth, and raisens. Cover and cook medium-low 25 minutes.
- Add cooked rice (optional) and cabbage; Cook another 8-10 minutes, or until cabbage is tender. Serve with additional rice, if desired.