When I first was married nearly 35 years ago (gasp! Has it really been that long?!), my husband’s grandmother pulled me aside and gave me great advice. She said to always buy a ham and cook with the bone in. It makes for the best ham, and the best drippings, which are used for gravy. And she was right! And that is what I have done for all of these years.
Here is my simple, never-fail recipe for our Christmas Ham! I put mine in the crock pot. Easiest Christmas main dish ever! Enjoy!
- 12 pounds ham rump portion
- ½ whole cloves
- ½ cup coconut sugar packed
- ½ cup water or as needed
- Rinse ham and cut off any extra fat portions.
- Push whole cloves on entire outside of ham at 1-to-2-inch intervals.
- Add ham to crock pot. Mix water and sugar to make a paste. Add more water as necessary.
- Pour water sugar mixture over ham. Cover crock with lid and bake 8-10 hours on low, or 6 hours high.