Comforting Lima Beans
If you don't normally eat these beans, or have never tried them, I don't know what you are waiting for! Lima beans are packed with protein and a wide array vitamins and minerals. They are particularly a good source of copper, manganese, folate, iron and cholesterol-lowering fiber.
- 1 lb dried lima or butter beans
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- dash cayenne
- 4 slices smoked bacon (optional)
- SEVERAL DAYS IN ADVANCE: Sort beans and discard damaged, rotten or discolored ones, as well as any stones or debris. Rinse thoroughly; cover with cold water and soak overnight. Drain ins strainer. Rinse several times a day for 2 or 3 days, until sprouted.
- Use crock pot of pot to cook beans, barely cover in water or with vegetable broth. Add onions, maple syrup and bacon. Crockpot – cook on low – 6-8 hours, Pot – bring to boil, reduce to simmer and cook until beans are tender, about 1 1/2 – 2 hours.
- When beans are tender, add salt, pepper, and dash cayenne for taste. Enjoy with crusty cornbread.