Comforting Lima Beans
- 1 pounds dried lima or butter beans
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne
- 4 slices smoked bacon (optional)
- SEVERAL DAYS IN ADVANCE: Sort beans and discard damaged, rotten or discolored ones, as well as any stones or debris. Rinse thoroughly; cover with cold water and soak overnight. Drain ins strainer. Rinse several times a day for 2 or 3 days, until sprouted.
- Use crock pot of pot to cook beans, barely cover in water or with vegetable broth. Add onions, maple syrup and bacon. Crockpot – cook on low – 6-8 hours, Pot – bring to boil, reduce to simmer and cook until beans are tender, about 1 1/2 – 2 hours.
- When beans are tender, add salt, pepper, and dash cayenne for taste. Enjoy with crusty cornbread.