Fried Amaranth Leaves
Okay, so this sounds a bit weird! Fried Leaves? But really, this is one of the most requested dish my family has asked for each summer. This is a great way to get your family to eat greens. And you can substitute any sturdy green for amaranth.
- 15 - 20 medium to large amaranth leaves
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 or 2 dash cayenne pepper
- coconut oil for frying
- Heat skillet with a tablespoon coconut oil.
- Rinse amaranth leaves. Set aside.
- In flat bowl, whisk egg until lemony yellow.
- In another flat bowl, mix cornmeal, and spices.
- Dip each leaf in egg wash, then cornmeal.
- Place in hot skillet. Fry till golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel and enjoy immediately!