Hot Cocoa with a Kick with Coconut Whipped Creme!
I found this delightful recipe at https://draxe.com/recipe/hot-cocoa-recipe/. I adapted it to give it some “warmth” and to help give weight loss a boost. If you don’t have a dark chocolate bar, you can use 1-2 extra tablespoons of raw cacao powder. Just extra stevia to sweeten. You can also sweeten with honey or maple syrup.
Total Time: 10 minutes
- one 13.5 ounce can coconut milk
- 1½ ounces 85% or higher dark chocolate bar (use 100% for sugar-free)
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 1/2 to 1 tsp stevia, to taste
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- dash cayenne pepper
- Coconut Whipped Creme (see below)
- dash of cinnamon
- Dash of cayenne (optional)
- In a medium pan, add in coconut milk, dark chocolate bar, raw cacao powder and stevia.
- Turn heat up to medium-low and let mixture melt.
- Add vanilla extract, and cayenne pepper.
- Whisk together hot cocoa mixture until all is melted and well-combined.
- Pour in two mugs and top with whipped coconut cream, if you desire. Add a dash of cinnamon and cayenne pepper (optional) to the top.
- Serve immediately.
Coconut Whipped Creme
1 can (13.5 oz)full-fat can coconut milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
stevia, to taste
Place can of coconut milk in refrigerator overnight. Remove next day, and carefully scoop off the solid creme on the top. Reserve the liquid to use in smoothies, soups or other recipes. Place solid creme in high speed blender (can use standing mixer also), along with other ingredients. Add vanilla and stevia. Whip at high speed for 20-30 seconds until fluffy. Serve immediately. Stores well in refrigerator.