In the last several posts, we have discussed:
- “What is a Detox?”https://veronicashealthyliving.com/detox-what-is-it/
- “Why Should You Detox?”https://veronicashealthyliving.com/why-should-you-detox/
I also gave you several recipes to get your body ready for a detox:
Today, I want to outline the four main types of detoxes, and briefly describe each one. Keep posted, as I will give the benefits and dangers (if there are any) of each in the future.
Kinds of Detoxes
There are many different kinds of detoxes and cleanses popular today. As mentioned in a previous post, https://veronicashealthyliving.com/detox-what-is-it/, there is a difference between a cleanse and a detox when speaking about incorporating one for the health of the body. For the sake of my writing here, I will be using these two terms, cleanse and detox, interchangeably.
Most detox programs fall into one of the following four types:
1. Liquid – usually juice, smoothie or bone broth cleanses
2. Liver detox – specific foods, juices, and supplements at a specific time throughout the day to enhance bile production the liver support
3. Colon Cleanse – adding in specific foods, supplements and liquids for a period of time to encourage elimination and cleansing of the colon.
4. Food restriction – this has two categories
- 1) Fasting – water, or eating only certain foods, like nothing but cabbage soup (yes this is a real thing) for a week
- 2) Eliminating certain common foods known to cause weight gain, inflammation or food sensitivities and allergies
Liquid cleanses include anything liquid, or blended, such as water, bone or vegetable broth, smoothies or shakes and juices in the form of prepackaged juices to fresh-pressed juices. Even pureed or liquid soups can be considered a form of detox.
Cleanses and detoxes that fall into this category:
• Water fasting
• Juice feasting or juice cleanse
• Bone Broth detox
• Smoothie Cleanse
• Master Cleanse
• Isogenix Cleanse for Life
Deciding to cleanse or detox with any of the above depends on several factors. For more information on why one should do a detox, go here:https://veronicashealthyliving.com/why-should-you-detox/
Factors to consider before launching into a detox:
1. Health of your body – this can be determined by having an full health assessment with a Functional Nutrition Practitioner. Interested in have a full health assessment? Go here: https://p.bttr.to/361E25K
2. Metabolism type – (should you be eating more carbs, or more protein?) – to determine the metabolic type to see if you are a slow oxidizer or fast oxidizer. I usually perform a test called the HTMA on each client as we begin our work together. Interested in learning your metabolic type? Go here: https://p.bttr.to/361E25K
3. Previous diet? If you are eating poorly (SAD) or less than healthy, this should be taken into consideration, and prep work should be done ahead to prepare the body to eliminate toxins.
4. Lifestyle/time management/family/work commitments – how committed are you? Do you have a heavy work load that will restrict your eating choices? Family commitments that will keep you too busy or keep you away from home? It can be done, but you will need a plan to overcome these challenges.
Interested in seeing if embarking on a detox program is right for you? Go here for a complementary 15 minute chat: https://p.bttr.to/361E25K
Concerned you may be toxic? Do you need a detox? Go here to take the Are You Toxic? Quiz