Plum Chicken with Amaranth
This yummy chicken recipe is great in the crock-pot, and even better warmed up the next day (assuming you have any left over!)
- 1 thick slice bacon diced
- 8 chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 cup dry amaranth seed (can also use quinoa)
- 2 cups chicken stock (or water)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (I use Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar)
- ½ cup dry plums pitted
- 2 tbsp white cooking wine
- 1 cup amaranth leaves or spinach leaves finely diced
- 1 large onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp fennel seed ground
- 1 tbsp cloves ground
- 2 star anise (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- Saute bacon over medium heat, rendering the fat. Add chicken – let cook 10 minutes each side, till brown and crisp.
- Add onions, garlic, prunes, wine, greens, and and saute with chicken until onions are soft and limp.
- Move onion/chicken mixture to crock pot. Add the rest of ingredients. Cook on low 8-10 hours. Serve chicken over amaranth. Enjoy!