Ahh…asparagus, one of the first foods that signal the beginning of Spring…so fresh, tender and tasty, AND so nutritious! Asparagus boast quite a few amazing health benefits, including high levels of Vitamins K, A, E and C, folate, iron, copper, potassium and manganese.
Other benefits include:
- anti-inflammatory- help prevent and eliminate inflammation causing chronic illness
- anti-oxidants – prevents accumulation of free radicals which ravage the body putting one at risk chronic disease
- cancer fighting – asparagus is high in the master anti-oxidant glutathione which helps reduce cancer risk and helps to eliminate inflammation in the body
- protects heart and fight disease – lowers blood pressure and decreases risk of heart disease
- curbs appetite, stabilizes blood sugar – so good for weight loss
- helps prevent birth defects – high in folate which is necessary for health, growth and development on the unborn, especially in the early stages of pregnancy. Protects unborn against neural tube defects
- brain booster – helps fight cognitive delay
- diuretic – used to treat swelling, arthritis, PMS, and rheumatism
- bone health – good source of Vitamin K which helps put calcium into the bones and teeth
- Detoxes heavy metals – high in chlorophyll, asparagus works to detox heavy metals. Chlorophyll is what gives plants their green color and is similar in structure as human blood without the heme. Chlorophyll binds with other specific amino acids that help detox heavy metals from the body, such as mercury and lead.
At only 35 calories a cup, it fills you up, and not out! So eat up!
For my Savory Ham and Asparagus Dress recipe: https://veronicashealthyliving.com/savory-ham-and-a…igrette-dressing/