Benefits of Drinking Water Daily
The benefits of drinking your daily water are enormous! Every cell in the body is made up of mostly water. In fact, you may remember learning that over 75% of our body is water. The majority of us walk around dehydrated, and we don’t know it. We sip on sodas, coffee, and energy drinks, but don’t drink enough water. Water is the key to life, and healing!
The majority of our fluid needs are met through water, beverages and some foods we eat. For example, watery fruits and vegetables, soups, and other foods, such as gelatin, and bone broth, are excellent sources to meet your daily needs.
Water lubricates and cushions joints, keeps body temperature normal, protects organs and tissues, and helps the body rid itself of waste through urination, bowel movements and perspiration.
But I bet most of us don’t know that adequate water consumption can stave off weight gain, and can even help you maintain your weight loss.
Water and Weight Loss
Drinking water, especially cold water, can help your body lose weight. Pub Med Central has cited several studies that included the following findings. Most of the studies showed the effect of drinking at least 1/2 liter or 17 oz. of water daily.
- Drinking cold water causes the body to use extra calories to warm the water up to body temperature
- Drinking water can increase the burning of calories on a daily basis.
- Burning of calories was shown to increase metabolism 24-30% within 10 minutes of drinking water, and can last at least 60 minutes.
- Drinking an average of 1 liter (or 17 oz.) of water daily resulted in nearly an extra 5 lbs. of body fat, also reducing body weight, BMI, and waist circumference.
Drinking more water not only can helps you lose weight, but has other benefits as well.
Top 5 Benefits of Drinking Water
1 Increase energy and reduce fatigue – Try it! It really works! Next time you feel like someone pricked your balloon, try drinking a large glass of water.
2 Weight Loss – Being dehydrated is probably the number 1 reason people have weight issues, (besides inflammation) because pure, filtered water is needed to replenish every cell of your body. It helps remove by-products of fat, fills you up so you won’t eat as much (especially if consumed before meals), acts as a natural appetite suppressant, raises your metabolism and has NO calories.
3. Gives you clear, fresh-looking skin – Keeps your skin moisturized, helps with wrinkles, and keeps skin soft and glowing.
4. Removes Toxins – Helps get rid of excess waste through urination and sweat. This reduces the risk of kidney stones and UTI’s (urinary tract infections).
5. Relieves and prevents headaches – If you are subject to headaches and migraines, check your water intake. Daily fresh water removes toxins (see number 4), which can cause headaches, and it lubricates joints and muscles.
Tips to getting more water
- Carry a water bottle and sip throughout the day, at work, or while running errands
- Choose pure, filtered water instead of high-calorie, sugary drinks. (Coffee and tea do NOT count as water intake)
- Eat more fruits and vegetables. These are foods with a high-water density, and DO count toward water intake
- Eat more soups, bone broth, stews
- Flavor water with sliced fruit, such as lemon, lime, berries, orange, or even cucumbers. Yum! And you have the bonus of added vitamins and minerals
- Drink a large glass of water 30 minutes before each meal. Staves off hunger, fills you up, and keeps you from overeating.
- Do NOT drink much water or other beverage at meals. This dilutes much needed nutrients from your food.
Drinking fresh, pure water daily is key to eliminating waste, beautifying skin, and keeping you slim and trim. Aim for half of your body weight in ounces of water each day. For example, if you weigh 150 lbs, you should be drinking 75 oz. of water each day. And remember, you can get this in your food!
So drink up and enjoy your water!