This is a simple, quick, yet delicious way to get your greens in on a daily basis, and boost minerals to support bone health. This a tasty side-dish that can accompany any meat or main dish.
Turn this into a main dish by adding sausage, meat or beans. Serve over rice.
Bonus is you grow your own organic kale!
2 bunches kale, chopped, including stems
4 slices bacon, diced
1 onion, diced (if you want to take the time, caramelized onions add a great flavor)
4-6 cloves garlic
1/2 c. water or broth
1/2 jalapeno, diced fine (include seeds if you like it spicy)
salt, pepper, dash of cayenne pepper to taste (if not using jalapeno)
- Wash and trim kale from stem. Let drain.
- Finely chop the onion and sauté in butter until limp and translucent. Continue cooking down until browned and sticky for caramelized onions.
- Add minced garlic.
- Add coconut oil and chopped kale stems. Cook until softened.
- Loosely chop kale into bite-size pieces and add to skillet, along with jalapeno, and water.
- Cover, and cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring often, until greens are a bright green and limp.
- Add seasonings, to taste. Serve hot!