Tuna Salad for Bone Health
I have made a version of this recipe in my home for years. Because I have suffered with bone loss over the past few years, I tweaked a few ingredients to make this a dish strengthening for the bones. Try it! If you aren’t concerned about bone loss, try it anyway. You just might find it addictive!
- 1 5 oz. can albacore tuna in spring water, drained
- 2 hard-boiled eggs peeled
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 green onion with greens diced
- ½ walnuts chopped
- ¼ c. dried joji berries
- dash or two lemon juice
- 1 tbsp MCT oil
- 1 tbsp mayo
- 1 tbsp dried nettle (optional)
- 1 tbsp molasses
- dash cayenne pepper
- salt/pepper to taste
- In mixing bowl, add all salad ingredients. Mix well. In a separate bowl. Mix dressing ingredients. Add to salad ingredients and toss. Keeps in refrigerator 3-5 days. Enjoy!
- This is delicious over mixed lettuce as a salad, or as a sandwich. For a different twist, add 1/2 cup cooked pasta noodles. Serve with salad or vegetable of your choice.
Just some of the ingredient benefits:
- tuna – B Vitamins and Vitamin D – both important to help get calcium into bones
- eggs – Vitamins D, E, K, B6, A, calcium (yes! Eggs contain calcium), folate, phosphorus, selenium
- celery – silicon – part of the molecular structure of bones and gives bones its strength
- goji berries – calcium (191 mg. per 100 grams), iron, Vitamins A, C, B-complex
- walnuts – highest of all nuts in omega 3’s. Omega-3’s fight inflammation and increases calcium absorption and bone strength by enhancing collagen synthesis.
- molasses – 1 tbsp. contains 191 mg. calcium, plus iron, B6, magnesium, anti-oxidants and more
- MCT oil – anti-oxidant that fights inflammation which can prevent movement and exercise, enhances hormone production, initiates estrogen release, helps body absorb minerals necessary for bone health
- Nettle – high in many minerals including calcium, magnesium phosphorus, iron, silica and more
- cayenne pepper – helps with digestion, metabolism. Strong bones begin with a strong digestion!